Thursday, October 16, 2014

Celebrity Endorsement

Missy Higgins is taking part in, and promoting, this Saturday's Divestment Day.

It's a day to encourage people to move their money from banks that invest in fossil fuels, to banks that don't. (In case the interest rate difference wasn't enough reason).

Missy Higgins endorses Divestment Day

As Missy Higgins wrote on her facebook account:

"... my bank has loaned over $6.5 billion to dirty fossil fuels since 2008. I don't know about you but I don't like my money being used to accelerate climate change, it seems insane in this day and age. I'd much prefer my money to be funding renewable energy projects and development, things that might actually save our planet rather than destroy it. So I've written to my bank and told them that if they keep funding fossil fuels I am going to leave. It's our money, we should be able to decide what it's invested in, don't you think? The big four banks have all lent billions to fossil fuels, so if you bank with ANZ, CommBank, NAB or Westpac, join 'Divestment Day' and tell the banks that, "if you choose fossil fuels, we'll choose another bank."

See how your bank invests your money - and look for a better deal on my bank comparison table.

PS. This comes after Felix Riebl joined a previous divestment event.

No comments: